Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Round Earth Society & Luck rating
Wu Di
Navigator
Post Re: Round Earth Society & Luck rating
on: September 29, 2012, 02:44

Yes now that you mentioned I think that's accurate! Good observation!

chaoyun2k
on: September 29, 2012, 08:39

It makes more sense with the point I intended to make in the previous post, so I guess I was having a bad day (seem to be doing that more lately).

Anyway, for most intents and purposes, the PC version is 40 minutes and up to 1 hour and 40 minutes per building. For the events that require timing (such as during the daylight hours) that can present a problem if you are hit with the longer time passing, which seems to happen a lot.

The SNES version does seem to be more random, even though you can pass 1 hour and 30 minutes per building you seem to be just as likely to get the 30 minute visit.

I tried testing for a couple of days to see if certain buildings required more time than other buildings AND to see if performing more actions in the building had any effect on the amount of time that passed. With that limited testing I decided it was purely random and didn't do anything else with that testing. Although it sure seems that when you want the short visit you will often get the long visit and vice versa. :p

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Wu Di
Navigator
on: September 29, 2012, 18:16

Haha Sod's law at work? Anyway I did wonder that too but decided that's not the case as selling obscene amount of gold and buying silver in small amount which equates to maybe 30 actions or so often just result in 40 mins time increase.

Taxxi
Vagabond
on: July 30, 2014, 23:38

My assertion is based on the following information of this site: http://www.unchartedwatersnewhorizons.com/how-to-get-angels-and-carronades/.

The most efficient way of donating, i.e. the percentage of donating that spends the least amount of money depends on the amount of luck you want to gain from donating. But as a general rule, 17%(6 point increase) is the standard, I believe.

It came from simple calculation that you have 83% left for each donating this way, and you just have to compare this number with others. For example, 51% donating means 49% left for each donation and you get 10 points of luck. So to compare, to achive 60 points, you have 0.83^10=0.155 left for 17% donation and 0.49^6=0.0138 left for 51% donation. Obviously, 17% donation is better.

Hope it helps 🙂

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: July 17, 2015, 16:25

When I first played this game and learned what I could by trial and error, I didn't need to know all these details about donations and luck. I worked out a simple program I call "the ritual of 8,000." Because the Luck you may have, according to the Fortuneteller, appears to come in 5 grades that correspond to A, B, C, D, and Star ratings for items. And donating half your gold 3 successive times proves enough to guarantee raising that luck factor by at least 1 of the 5 grades. So, I stash all my gold but 8,000 GP, as that's easy to figure 1/2 of 3 successive times. Then I go in the building and donate 4,000 GP and exit(I think a lot of players make the mistake of doing it more times in one building visit, but you need to exit and re-enter the Round Earth Society building each time to assure it counts as 3 successive times, even though that uses up more time in port). Then back in to donate 2,000, then back in to donate 1,000. If that's not yet enough to max out the luck, back to Marco Polo Bank. If I hit Deposit with only 1,000 GP on me, I'll be told, "You don't have any gold to deposit." I guessed that as a hint that I may really not count as having gold to donate unless it's 2,000 or better at the Round Earth Society. My "ritual of 8,000" also means on the third trip in I have 2,000 and donate 1,000 out of it. Then it becomes a formula to remember of 3 times in & out of Round Earth Society and 8,000 gold pieces for each grade of luck, in case of Ghost Ships. Even if your luck is down in the worst category(like D rating, "ominous shadow across your face"), it only takes this "ritual of 8,000" 4 times to max out to Star grade("what a strong fortune"). This may also help after plundering villages, but since that also lowers Charm and risks losing crew, it's better not to plunder villages, ever.

sizintsev
1st Mate
on: July 21, 2015, 09:08

You're talking about creating a character for luck, and some episodes that can occur during the game. Why do you need luck? Maybe you want to sell stolen valuables through piracy in one of the nearest ports? Or maybe buy carronades. They appear only in this case.

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: July 27, 2015, 19:59

Not only carronades, but also angel figureheads and a small chance of an extremely rare goddess figurehead require enough luck to be available. But I more often notice a few other things. 1.) With luck up, storms in certain regions hit less often, and you need balm less often. Since you only have room to carry 20 items, you don't want to need to carry 8 or more doses of balm. 2.) In northern sea regions, luck up means less likely that "heavy fog is blocking your sight." One time Khyar Ad-Din caught me in such fog when I only had trading ships and I couldn't even see him coming first. 3.) If my luck is low, I may have to entertain more times than with better luck to discover the same thing at the same village. 4.) If my heavy war-capable ships are currently moored aside and I'm sailing in 2 La Reales modeled for trading & exploring, then get caught by Khyar or Idin with "If you don't want to get hurt surrender your cargo and gold" high luck means a better chance of managing to escape if I choose "Flee."

chaoyun2k
on: July 28, 2015, 17:37

I just thought I'd add that Joao only requires one donation to be at max luck. Before leaving Lisbon the first time, return to the Round Earth Society until you get the option to accept, donate, or even refuse money from them for allowing Enrico to join you. Choose donate and Joao's luck will be set to 100 with one action.

Of course the normal events can lower his luck, but if you avoid those Joao is good to go.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Topics

Latest on the Forum

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates