Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Lets compose a fun-list of things inside the game
moenbase
Vagabond
Post Lets compose a fun-list of things inside the game
on: April 14, 2016, 16:16

Hi there,

I'm suprise there's not really a topic about the next kind of funny things in the game. Also most of the things aren't even found in Gamefaq's that I read. And some of these things don't have much explanation about why they happen. Such as:

- Tunis, once home to 3 pirates. Jack Raccam, Mohammed Syrarook and Ulgu Ali. Once you kill all 3 of them (a couple of times), the town no longer has pirates in there. While in Algiers, random pirates keep appearing.

- The pirates in Tunis usually:
1) Leave port only once per xx couple of days. And alternating between all 3 of them.
2) you need to sail a specific pattern just a bit north of Tunis to lure them out.
3) They won't travel far from their 'hometown' of Tunis.

- Simon Sekeira. Almost always equal level as you are. My tactic to hire him is: Kill him, get some sword skills up before trying to hire him. Sometimes you get lucky and can hire him because you're just a few sword skills higher then he is.

- All AI ships sail to wherever they need to go without ever resupplying. Full sailors, standard amount of cannons, and thus normal cargo space. If you make a fleet like that, you're only able to sail for just a few days.

- Leaving a port will already mean 1 day sailing.

- If you attack a merchant fleet while a Battle fleet (of the same country) is nearby, the latter one will support the merchant. Meaning you'll have to fight both. If you beat the one you attack, you already won. However if you kill the supporter first, you'll still need to defeat the merchant.
The same thing can happen while on the defensive side.

- While in a battle, if you're crew is 'too low', your fleet will abandon you and try to flee. No matter what setting you put them on.

- While in a battle, while shooting your cannons at the opposite's leader ship for the last time before it's sunk, you will see a 'fancy' animation of your ship and the sailors shooting their cannons. (It does take in account if you shoot from the left or right side of the ship!)

- You can hire sailors only once per day.

- If you defeat an enemy ship and capture their ships, their crew won't be a full 100%, even if you didn't shoot/attack the said ship.

- Even if you out-power the attacked pirate or battle ship, they will never give in. E.g. they'll never surrender. Unlike merchant ships.

- Even if you can't discover Moai, the location on the island where the village would've been, will be there however. Which can be seen by the different texture of the island color. A purplish color, while the woul-ve-village will be green.

- Some already extinct animals can still attack you. Pteranodon would be one of them.

- Most of the people in town has some basic game-information. There's only one person in town who actually has something unique to say.

- Parts of the game are hardly historically accurate. One of them being Italy. Which didn't exist back then. The Republic of Genoa as an independent nation/city state would be more accurate.
Also Ottoman Empire or Turkey? It seems like the game refer to the Ottomans as all being Turks. Which it shouldn't. OE was much much larger then just Turkey. Plus they weren't all Turks.
You fight for the Ottoman Empire (as Ali), but if you capture a town it belongs to Turkey.. hmm...

- If you try your best, you can actually defect to other countries. I just can't remember how one had to pull this off if all countries hate your guts.

- Not sure how this mechanic works but: Probably if you have sufficient cash on hand, if you select the handshake/meet&greet to a pirate at sea sailing Venetian Galleases. Not only Khayr or Idin, but about all VG sailors. They will say "And you know what? You're my next prey!". While early in the game, as well as most other pirates, they will just lie to you saying "I'm on my way home".

- If you see a pirate is following you. You may want to think twice about sleeping at a lodge in a town. The next day the pirate may already be waiting just outside of the town and attack you right away. You can however avoid this if it's night.

- Sometimes if you're way stronger then pirates in a VG who normally would've attacked you if you 'handshake them'. You can just sail over them, and they flee without engaging you. If you're still weaker then them, they may attack you instantly though. Same counts for other people who are looking for you.

On a side note. Usually only pirates/Battle fleets in VG's dare to attack you.
Not sure if it depends on what ship you're actually sailing.

- The famous pirates Idin Leis and Khayr Ad-din look like very tough sailors/pirates in they VG's, while their stats are quite mediocre.

- All AI ships can just sail through storms without ship damage. Pirates (or other people who are looking for you) can sneak up on you if they look for you while you've planted your flag on a piece of land to wait out the storm.
The moment the storm is over, they'll attack you right away.

- You can only deck battle the captain.

- If you're sword level + sword is good enough, you can easily kill other captains in deckbattle if use a thrust and they use a low block level.

- In the Istanbul you won't find many people hanging around in the cafe. Try the Inn instead. There should be plenty of people there.

- Gossiping in an Inn doesn't work as well as in an Inn. Game mechanics prevent you to click Gossip the whole time in the Inn. Though it's the first option of you click a sailor. If you gossip at an Inn, the screen goes back to the full list of sailors in the Inn, instead of staying in the previously screen of the sailor where you can pick between Gossip and Hire.
While at the Inn, whatever command you select while selecting a sailor who's not your mate, you'll always stay in the said sailor's screen. Which makes it easier to gossip a couple of times without the hassle of them introducing themselves the whole time.

Please everyone feel free to put more of these fun things in this topic as well 🙂

sizintsev
1st Mate
Post Re: Lets compose a fun-list of things inside the game
on: April 17, 2016, 23:40

All of these events are the place to be in the Sega and Snes versions. I would like to highlight some of them.
1. Indeed, after destroying the pirates from Tunisia, you can see others ' work, consisting of 10 vehicles in Algeria. The same thing happens if you break the merchant fleet of pirates just above North America, they will also appear in the new composition of the fleets in Algeria. In version Gaiden in Tunisia, like no one, and the behavior of the other pirates.
2. Leaving from the port it is best for 12 nights, you can save some food and water.
3. When you attack the merchant Navy and he offers to surrender, there is no reason to accept the change, as in this case get nothing.
4. If you are transporting costly cargo, the most valuable are gold, glassware and silver, you likely search for you by fleets of pirates and warring countries.
5. Is there such a thing that all other than your fleet can be in the sea any number of days, it seems that the reserves they have are endless.
6. Your character can die of old age, I don't remember how many years in the game you can live, but it's about 30 years since the start of the game, to die whether from old age others not known. I wrote here long ago that there is a way to try to dismiss their navigators in an unusual way, to give them the lightest ships, for example, balsa, and other talette. Swim with them in the storm, and after a few seconds of their ship sinking, then perhaps two outcomes they are saved or drowned. The higher statistics from the navigators, the harder it is to do it. So you can try to get rid of an annoying Idin and khayr ad-DIN.
7. When you are looking for the subject , and there is a map, then you can ask a question to the mappers, for example in the port of Palma, they can give an extended answer or suggest coordinates.

chaoyun2k
on: April 21, 2016, 21:57

About the handshake meet and greeting pirates. Early in the game if you have very little money and goods the pirates will say,
"Yo ho ho! An easy victim! Men, seize everything they've got!.Ahrrr! There is nothing valuable here. Well, I'll give you some gold. Use it to earn more gold for our next meeting." or something along those lines. Then they give you 1000 or more, based on text dumps up to 5000. The most I've ever gotten was 2000. I don't know all the criteria because I make this happen early when I see one of the pirates near the route I'm running. I deposit most of my money and go without goods to meet the pirate. Ship size may be part of the event, so I don't know if having a bigger ship will work.

For the deck battles it is Thrust against a Block, or Strike against a Parry, or Lash against a Dodge. Any of the three will give you the best results, and even better if your sword's strong attack is the attack you use. I think there are some formulas in the gamefaqs topics.

The strong attacks for the swords are Strike for heavy swords, Lash for curved swords, and Thrust for fencing swords. Straight swords are good at all attacks, but don't have a strong attack.

Your character will be too old to sail by the end of 1553, so it is basically 30 years.

Just a few additional notes related to some of the things mentioned.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Link
Navigator
on: April 22, 2016, 18:09

Whoa that is a lot of information. I am testing the game's limits right now, like max gold etc. Maybe I'll find something interesting to share. I'll let you guys know

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: April 30, 2016, 03:21

Adding to that bit about supporting fleets mentioned by Permalink, I've found defeating one in a duel is defeating both. Once I went to attack Jacob Walweik who'd come back as a 10-Galleon pirate to replace the Jack Raccam I'd sunk(Jacob always has just Sabre and Chain Mail, easy to defeat in a duel), Khyar Ad-Din was near with his Venetians, and it said "Khyar Ad-Din will support the defending side." Then after beating Jacob in a duel, I noticed Khyar's fleet wasn't there and it wasn't necessary to hustle and angle to avoid him catching me. A couple months of game-time later, though, Khyar had a 10-Venetian fleet like I'd beaten HIM in a duel when I hadn't. Another time, as Ernst VonBohr, I was attacked by Idin Leis, and nearby was a fellow Dutchman, and it said "Jaques Broom will support the defending side." Idin caught me and proposed a duel, and Ernst ain't very reliable at winning those, but fortunately I'd gotten him the Crusader items, and I won, but Mr. Broom wasn't there--until 3 months later, with 10 Galleons this time.

sizintsev
1st Mate
on: May 4, 2016, 00:35

All of these pirates, Jacob, Idin, Khyar very intrusive, cost them to appear in the sea, and no matter how much you do not crushing their fleets, they appear again and again. Sometimes the question arises, where do they get so much gold to build a new fleet. Often, their attacks and the level of navigation is very small (as in Henry Mancini), not too difficult to win their duel and get easy prey.
I remember the case, I swam at night through the pirate fleet, and he started chasing me. We sailed to the ice of the North Pole, because my ship is much faster, I could easily break away from the pirates. After a while, I discovered that the pirate fleet simply disappeared, and by the beginning of the month in Algeria appeared a different fleet.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: June 14, 2016, 07:16

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum but have been an Uncharted fan for MANY years. Here is a neat one to try if you haven't seen this before. This applies to Sega and SNES for New Horizons and any character.

Attain a fairly high rank such as Baron so you can borrow a good bit of gold from the Bank. You also have to have at least one country that is mad at you- preferably at least 90+% negative. You can do this by battling their fleets or allying their ports. After you borrow the money, use almost all of it to purchase a valuable stock like gold and stock it into big ships and moor them in your friendly port. Other than your goods stored, have about $10k cash on hand and visit the unfriendly ruler directly. It may take several visits, but eventually he will say "I've been wanting to meet you. You should be thrown in the dungeon forever but just this once I will take 4/5 of your gold. Don't let it happen again". You will find that not only did your status with the country go back to zero, but he assumed 4/5 of your bank debt! You can sell some of your moored stock and easily pay off the remainder of the loan.

This must be a bug in the program??? It works however to kill two birds with one stone.

Let me know if this is a good challenge and I can relate a few more if anyone is interested.

chaoyun2k
on: June 16, 2016, 22:27

I think I had heard about the debt part before, but it is good to be reminded (if I had heard). It isn't something that I would use very often, but it is an awesome trick. Thanks for posting the information!

Just to be clear, this is about getting caught at the palace, not in one of the other buildings. Also, with this one, they take from the money you have in the bank as well...so you want all money into goods. The amount you have is up to you, but I think I've done it with as little as 1000. The negative probably only has to be a little above 30. I think that is the point where they start looking for you. And there may be some difference in the versions, I can't say at the moment.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: June 19, 2016, 11:33

Yes, you have to visit the Ruler directly for this to work - I think. Never tried it getting caught in other buildings. Unless you have a pretty high negative score with the country you might have to visit the Ruler many times to get caught. The game seems to be skewed to catch you if you stand to lose and you escape most of the time if you stand to gain.

I'm sure you also know that Pietro is the only character who can get away clean while defecting to another country. All other characters either get stuck or have to defect back to finish their games. My favorite is for Pietro to defect to Portugal since that's where his sponsor lives anyway. This one just makes sense.

The quickest way I have found to get a game started for any character is to trade the Caravelle for a Light Galley right after the initial sequences and sail for the following discoveries -- Stonehenge, Great Auk, Saber tooth and Mastedon. If your lucky (and the game enables all these discoveries), you can pick them all up in the same trip and turn them all in for an amazing 217,500 gold!!! (might have the Auk price off a little?) Anyway this is all possible within the first 8-10 weeks of the game. Most characters will be able to immediately rise 2-3 ranks if you go to the Nile and can pick up several more cheap discoveries for the King.

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: June 19, 2016, 18:12

I'm sure there's no bug in the game about it, it's a normal feature of the game that you can get reconciled to a ruler at a heavy price. You can even do it again with the same ruler, making it look like he was blustering with "Make sure there's not a next time." I believe that was put in so that even if you turn a character other than Catalina Pirate, you still have hope of eventually finishing that one's story. As I best observe, going into other buildings in hostile countries than the Palace runs a risk of getting mugged for 3/4ths of what's on you but doesn't touch your bank account, and appeases the people of that hostile country enough to reduce your animosity by 20, but that's all. The chance of it happening gets bigger when your hostility number is larger, and it has to be at least 21 to happen at all. Unfortunately, the chance of it happening at only 21 and reducing you to just 1 Hostility Factor is very, very small.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Topics

Latest on the Forum

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates