Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Hire mates, how do you choose them?
moenbase
Vagabond
Post Hire mates, how do you choose them?
on: March 31, 2016, 14:35

Hi guys,

Knowing this forum is pretty much alive, I thought jumping in with another question.

How do you guys decide what mates to hire?
How do you achieve the 'desired navigation level' to hire them?

I usually start most of the hiring after I sailed around the world a few times to do all the discoveries. Then get some boats to mainly target the ones I want to hire. Not sure if it matters, but I try to look out for ppl who have at least Celestial Navigation and Gunnery. Get them some boats as well and kill some more. After I got about 20 or so more mates I do some more world traveling and trading to let them gain some higher levels.

Link
Navigator
Post Re: Hire mates, how do you choose them?
on: March 31, 2016, 15:18

I hire everyone. If I could hire other NPC I would hire them as well. I usually just play normally and every time I'm at a port i try to hire someone. Sooner or later they all agree

chaoyun2k
on: March 31, 2016, 16:01

I'm a bit picky about my hires. I go after stats, especially swordsmanship. The sailing stats can be raised easily enough, so I really like low level characters. Higher level characters just take a lot longer to get better stats. I do usually hire Pilly Reis when I am able to...but he is a LATE game hire.

Sailing stats (leadership, seamanship, knowledge, and intuition) can improve from umm, sailing. Battle stats (swordsmanship and courage) can only increase from battle. Battle can increase sailing stats too, but level ups in battle are tough to achieve for your mates - they're easy enough for your main character.

Anyway, my favorite early hires are Gus Johnson, Cizzaro Fedeliti, and George Eggel. If my main characters leadership stat is close to 100 then I like to have Luka Ullman, Al Fasi, and Zaganos Bei.

I don't like to use Auto-Sail at all, so getting a mate with Celestial Navigation is useless. I do like to get CN for my main character so they can use the navigation aids (Quadrant, Sextant, or Theodolite). Before anyone suggests that CN means they sail faster, that is NOT a factor in determining speed. IF the mate's seamanship is high enough to get CN then they should sail faster, but it is not because of the skill.

I don't really worry about Gunnery either, because if their battle stats are high enough they will do enough damage. But if you want to destroy ships by sinking them (forget the money you could make by selling them) then you may want 5 or 6 mates with Gunnery and good sailing skills.

Some mates are a pain, like Zaganos Bei and other mates you hire at the inn. That is because you can't inflate their loyalty by getting them drunk...umm buying them the specialty at the cafe. A lot of times their loyalty declines and that is not good for battle. If you can keep them through two month ends before entering a port they will be amazingly 100 loyal. That is because when loyalty drops below 0 it gets set at 100!

You can also pay them more and more to make them loyal...if you want to do that. Most of my mates are hired at 10 or 20 per month and like I said, I like stats!

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

moenbase
Vagabond
on: April 2, 2016, 14:50

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.
Ok, so that is new to me. I was under the impression that both, CE and Gunnery actually mattered (a lot) when it comes to, Sailing speed and Sea battles.
For me that was the sole purpose to actually hire these guys.
During my SNES times, and even now, when I picked up the game again, I never really understood/understand much of the icons under the personal and navigator's information screens.

I also couldn't find much, if any, information about all these stats, for the characters.
What do they actually do for me, and for the navigators?

I had games where I had like Pirate-only navigators, or just sailors from 1 nations.
But usually only took CE/Gunnery guys. Good to know I don't have to take that in account anymore. 🙂 Time to concentrate on cool names then.

What do you actually do to level them up? Just sail around the world for about 70 days every time till your main guys are like 100 in Seamanship?

About wages:
During my Snes time I had wages over a 1000 a month during the 'end' part of the game, that wasn't too rare.

chaoyun2k
on: April 4, 2016, 21:02

The only mate that benefits at all from Celestial Navigation is the First Mate and only then if you want to use the Auto Sail feature (which I think I've said that I hate to use that) and if you want to do that then you need a first mate with Celestial Navigation.

Personally I try to estimate when a mate is going to level and then travel enough to gain a level. Each level up can be from 0-4 if I recall correctly, but it is a lot more difficult to get good level ups when you get a bunch of them at once. In other words, if you travel for 70 days and your mate is low level they will level up a number of times. Some of the level ups may be pretty good and some may not be so good. I try to control the level ups by getting them one level up at a time when I can. You can't always do that, but if you can then why not.

A good chief navigator is a good idea too and his stats should be high in Knowledge and Intuition. You will know because you will get warnings in advance of storms instead in the middle of a storm...giving you time to use a balm before any damage occurs.

There is a lot of information that could be mentioned about stats and mates, but some of what the stats do for a mate are listed at post #15 of the "A few detailed game..." topic on the gamefaqs board. Additional info in post 19 and 20 of that same topic.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

moenbase
Vagabond
on: April 5, 2016, 14:49

Hello again,

Great information you got there. So is the gamefaq's topic.
Yea, I also don't use Auto Sail command. Doesn't make too much sense. From what I can tell is that it basically sails to a port, the way the AI would sail there. (usually not the shortest/fastest) route.

On a side note:
I could be very mistaken ofcourse. But during my time on the Snes I thought I also experienced some odd things like: Being able to hire a sailor who's already got a fleet, but willing to be my mate nonetheless. Ofcourse it's difficult to back this up, and I could completely telling nonsense. But I wondered if any of you guys also experienced something like this? Normally to get a mate who's already running a fleet, like Tonio Burciago, you need to kill him first, then check pubs to see if he's a vagabond sailor. Though I remember vagely that sometimes you might meet someone like these guys in a pub, and they just want to join you. (based on luck or charm maybe, no idea, or completely not true).

I also might be wrong on the next topic but:
In the end, does it really matter what mates you choose. What I mean is: the longer you sail, the more they level up the better they get, and at some point they'll be 100 in about everything. So is the one really better then the other in the end game?

chaoyun2k
on: April 5, 2016, 16:49

There is one more reason to have a first mate with Celestial Navigation and that is to be able to use those instruments WHEN your main character doesn't have CN or the stats to get CN. That is assuming you want or need to use those instruments.

Auto Sail allows the first mate to sail your fleet to any port that you have been to before. I've had fleets get caught in a spot that they shouldn't have been in to begin with...and they sailed there until the entire crew perished.

Anyway, I don't recall any situation similar to the one you describe and I don't recall anyone else ever suggesting that they had been able to hire a captain that already had a fleet at that same time. Memory and cheat codes can do funny things though (especially my memory).

In the end, no it doesn't really matter which mates (that's why I like cheap ones). One thing I do avoid is mates with luck below 50. I believe siz made a point of hiring mates with low luck stats in at least one game, but I don't know how he fared with those mates.

sizintsev
1st Mate
on: April 10, 2016, 07:40

Of those navigators who you can hire from the beginning, it is preferable to employ the ability to "cannon". I don't usually look at their characteristics, and know by memory what is good to hire George Eggel, Cisco Alvares, Omar Kashani, and others. You can hire and no skill "cannon", but all you need to practice first in skill of navigation, increasing their level up to 17-18, then to build a fleet of ships and spend 30-40 fights no duels. The levels of their attack will rise, but slowly, bringing to a 16-70, and if lucky, and 20.
By the way, notice that when the level of attack rises from the navigators. the speed of their sailing ships is also increasing.

chaoyun2k
on: April 11, 2016, 09:54

Their speed will only increase when their battle stats increase if their navigation stats also increase. Note that battles can raise navigation stats...and if I recall correctly those navigation stats can increase from battle without an increase in navigation level. It has been a while since I checked that, but...well as I said if I recall correctly.

The point is that battle stats or level does not appear anywhere in the speed formula and that I wish my memory was as good as it once was. :p

Only the mates that are ship captains can increase stats from battle, but navigation stats do increase regardless - just at a faster rate for captains and or first mate. Also, the game manual and the game itself will tell you that the chief navigator stats will increase faster, but that is not true. The chief navigator gets the same experience that other non-captains get. There are a few other things that the manual or game tells you that doesn't work the way you are told.

sizintsev
1st Mate
on: April 12, 2016, 20:58

I remember there was once or twice, I hired Ivan Soledad, and it was about the beginning of the game. He constantly complained about the rate increase. I had two ships, and one day before sailing from the port, he informed that unhappy again, takes the ship and sails. Leaving the port, I discovered that the second ship is not as well as Ivan in the team ...

Pages: [1] 2 3

Topics

Latest on the Forum

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates