Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hire mates, how do you choose them?
chaoyun2k
Post Re: Hire mates, how do you choose them?
on: April 13, 2016, 19:25

Based on limited testing that I did using the SNES version:

A mate asks for more money if their loyalty falls to 30 or below. One of the formulas that FatRatKnight found the Leadership stat of the main character is very important in determining loyalty. There is more to it than that, but at the moment I can't seem to locate it right away.

Anyway, when a mate's loyalty falls to 30 he will comment that he is unhappy (or if his loyalty was already below 30, as in the case when more than one mate is at 30 or below) and ask for a raise. Personally I never liked giving raises for that reason.

A little trick that I found which works great for the mates that you hire in the inn is that their loyalty will be 10 to start with. Many of those mates have stats that don't allow for a gradual increase in loyalty. Instead, IF you can leave the port that you hire the mate in without having to give a wage increase and sail through 2 month ends without stopping in another port then their loyalty should fall below 0 and be set to 100. I could not find any way to decrease a mate's loyalty once it was at 100. I tried running out of money, food, water and a few other things, but they stayed at 100 loyalty.

For mates that you hire in the cafe/pub you can just treat them to 100 loyalty before hiring them (or to 90 loyalty because they gain 10 loyalty when you hire them). There are 4 categories of mates in the cafe, but the short version is that if you treat them 15 times even the worst ones will be at 90 loyalty and then at 100 when you hire them.

I usually like to hire Luka Ullman, Al Fasi, and Zagonos Bei from the inn/lodge and those three are hard to please. They can usually be hired for 20 per month (sometimes 10) but they have good stats and probably won't increase in loyalty except with extra raises or by sailing long enough for their loyalty to fall below zero and be set to 100. I never really knew why they always seemed loyal until I did those tests.

Anyway, the trick is to get out of the port without having to give them a raise (or a ship).

There was another trick mentioned in another topic, but this post is already too long...and it didn't get them to 100 loyalty.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: April 30, 2016, 02:55

I vary bit from game to game whom I hire, but I'll probably at least stop when there are enough mateys for 10 ships. Otherwise, some will just consume wages and have nothing to do. But if my chosen field representative this time is Catalina, that's an exception--I'll probably seek to get her two extra ones with decent Seamanship, just so Emilio and Andreas(2 awful slowpokes) will not have to be the ones seizing any ships for her after a battle. Richard Huxley and Ivan Soledad are two regular favorites of mine, as they make good battle partners, but both should be Treated at least 12 times to be safe before asking a hire. George Eggel it seems is popular for both Gunnery and good Seamanship, but I'd say be a bit cautious over him--there seems to be something about him and Oriental ships. In one of my early tries at this game in the late 1990's, I hired him as Pietro and thought I'd try a used junk in Macao and named it the Liu Kang(after a fighter from a very different kind of video game Mortal Kombat--just my way of showing a sense of humor) and I was told near the Phillipines, "Commodore, Liu Kang is missing." More recently, I hired him as Ali Vezas, and had him at the helm of a war-worthy Tekkousen, and got, "Commodore, Shogun is missing." I'm not sure what the idea is--maybe George would rather serve in Nobunga's navy, so he vanishes if you let him pilot a ship that fits in with the local crowd? I haven't so far had that problem if I keep George a captain of only a LaReale. Jacob Walweik I rate as an undesirable mate for his poor Seamanship, but I'll probably hire him early as Otto Baynes, believing Otto desperately needs every ship he can seize. Lodge-dwelling mates whom you can't Treat might be made just slightly more amiable if you Gossip with them 4 or 6 times without asking a hire, then talk to them again the next day, getting to be a more familiar face. But they will take time to become loyal. Zaganos Bei has the advantage that his location makes it easier than many other cases to sail right to a supply port(Tamatave at Madagascar)after hiring, and if you've timed it so you're just now looking for villages around Australia, you might as well sail to a chain of supply ports, where he can't ask for a raise and leave you if you say no because there's no lodge. Usually I find him coming around after several months of getting used to me.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: June 14, 2016, 07:33

The maximum battle level appears to be 50, but not sure. If you can attain this level without finishing the game, almost all pirates can be hired just like any other mates including Kayhr-adin and Idin Leis. You have to defeat them in battle until they appear in the café at a nearby port. They would be like any other mates available for hire and not give you the "get away from me or I'll give you a knuckle sandwich!" The only one I can't get to join my crew is Philly Reis - maybe because he is also battle level 50? He also only appears in the lodge - not the café. These tough pirate also require a pretty high salary compared to the others.

chaoyun2k
on: June 16, 2016, 22:18

It is possible to hire Pilly Reis, I've done that many times. There are some mechanics involved that are posted in one of the active topics on Gamefaqs. Pilly will cost either 100 or 200 wages per month, there is a random number involved in determining which of the two it will be for you at that time.

Hiring mates is a lot about levels, but it is also about stats and I think fame...I have to look at the topic again to be sure. There is a formula if you don't mind working with those.

Any information that I provide is based on the SNES version unless otherwise specified. I have thousands of hours into New Horizons and I have played it since it was released in the US on the SNES.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: June 19, 2016, 11:21

Thanks! I will check the FAQ details. I know that when I managed to get Kayhr and Idin to join Ali Veza's crew, they requested over 1000 gold/mo each....? Of course this is still minor, but seemed a level up from what all other mates request.

Assume you also notice that some navigators move around from port to port, while others seem to be rooted to one place unless you hire and move them. Also there seems to be no way to discharge mates you don't want anymore --- except sometimes I recall you can put them on a small ship and get into a battle and let them get sunk. I think most of the time they still return to your crew, but I can't recall exactly.

Mark-
Erickson
Mate
on: June 19, 2016, 18:00

We still haven't mentioned the most unique matey of all--Hamid Lal. Even after saying, "Keep away from me before I give you a knuckle sandwich," you might ask Hire, and if your battle level is 12 or better he may amazingly still say, "I'll work for you if you pay me 80 G.P. a month." Then after you take him, it may still say Hamid Lal just left Caracas, but if you view his fleet, it's a duplicate of yours. If you attack and challenge to a duel, you'll be dueling your own mirror image, but if you have top-of-the-line equipment like Crusader's Armor and Magic Muramasa, you can count on his(yours?) equipment not being the equal of what's wielded by the original you. If you win, you get doubles of your current ships, and can use this as a quicker way to get several Tekkousens, Barges, or Full-Rigged Ships, at a price of some loss of friendship with your home country. Hamid has poor Seamanship, though, so you may want to already have 10 guys with decent Seamanship when hiring him, and keep him always First Mate so he never has to slow-poke with a ship you seize after another battle. Many call this "glitches," but I think Hamid is more like an easter egg. Being in the Carribean, I believe he's Koei's way of paying tribute to Disneyland's "Pirates Of The Carribean" ride, and is a strange ghostly pirate who can work for you and fight you at the same time, and can be a lot to figure out.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: June 20, 2016, 10:05

Wow! This is good stuff. I think I recall defeating Idin one time with a very high battle skill level and his flagship was a used Tekk except with 100 durability rating. It could carry the 360 crew and 65 guns. I noticed that if I tried to my original flagship (also a Tekk) or sell it, the captured one reverted to a normal used Tekk or disappeared. Its like they are linked somehow??? I will have to play with Hamid and try him out as a navigator.

Which weapon do you think is the best? It seems to me that having both Crusader armor and sword is the best, but I am intrigued by the description of the Rune blade which states "its destructive capability is second to none"??? Does that mean its the best? Its hard to tell since its difficult to get into exactly the same battle situation with different weapons even with saved game and the duels always seem a little different - even if you restart and fight the same battle over and over.

chaoyun2k
on: July 7, 2016, 19:52

The thing about the Rune Blade, which I prefer to use, is that it doesn't have an extra strong attack. All of its attacks are strong, but none of them will do any bonus damage.

For example, the Crusader Sword is a thrusting sword and the power of any thrust attack is high. It is still better if it is against a Blocking defense, but the thrust attack is extra strong against any defense. The thing is that parry still negates any thrust, and enemies of decent level use parry a lot. The other two attacks, strike and lash, are not that strong. They are still better than a sword that is lower than the Crusader Sword.

The Rune Sword has strong attacks for any attack (thrust, strike, and lash) but none of them are extra strong.

The Blue Crescent is the strongest striking sword (if I recall correctly) AND it is the cheapest * (star) rated sword at only 24,000. The down side is you have to go all the way to the far east to get one. It is a very good sword, but it doesn't have the power of other star rated swords so the thrust and lash are a little weaker. The strike attack on other star rated swords will be just about as good because they have higher power.

Jaydub
Vagabond
on: July 8, 2016, 07:24

Yes, there are MANY weapons available of the three types. Oddly, there are only a few sets of armor with 3 of them being very cheap and only 2 (star) rated costing MUCH more -- Errols @ $300,000 and Crusader @ $600,000. The next step down is $8,000 for the plate/mail. Seems like a really big gap in armor. Also strange that only the Crusader armor and sword are a matched set costing $980,000. The next step down would be Rune Blade and Errols for $660,000 and if you go with non-star, the Flamberge and Platemail is only $22,000 which is a great fighting combination in itself. I guess its just a way to challenge the player to make LOTS of money -- which is really easy when you learn the tricks.

Speaking of making big money - my favorite is to trade gold from Madeira with small bits of silver from Genoa. It only takes 50,000 investment in the Madeira market to make gold available and if you sell them several small quantities of silver, gold becomes very cheap - especially if you have a tax free cert and several ranks. You can bring most of the gold to northern Europe and make $800-900 PROFIT per LOT sold. It only takes a few big ships and short time to make millions. You don't have to think about money after that little project.

Link
Navigator
on: July 8, 2016, 11:43

My favorite way of making money is trading Gold from Rio to any northern port. If you have tax free and maximum rank you can get gold for almost nothing and sell it for about 1100 the piece. Just fill a Full Rigged Ship with the gold and enjoy your new fortune

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Topics

Latest on the Forum

WP Like Button Plugin by Free WordPress Templates